2019 Citizen's Police Academy
The Fitchburg Police Department is pleased to announce its ninth Citizen’s Police Academy to be held in the fall of 2019. We are now accepting applications for members of our community to enroll in this program. The Citizen’s Academy is open to:
- City of Fitchburg residents
- City of Fitchburg business owners
- Employees of businesses within the City of Fitchburg
Admissions standards apply to all applicants and can be found below.
What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
The Fitchburg Police Department Citizen’s Academy is designed to:
- Give members of our community an inside look at the department and a better understanding of police work
- Provide attendees a chance to ask questions about any police related topics
- Create lasting relationships in the community
- Educate community members through hands on learning experiences on topics including:
- Drugs & Gangs
- Criminal Investigations and Evidence
- Defensive and Arrest Tactics
- Emergency Vehicle Operations and Control & Vehicle Contacts
- Active Threat Response
- Law Enforcement Scenarios
Academy attendees will participate in at least one ride along with a patrol officer.
The Citizen’s Police Academy is not preparatory law enforcement training. While academy attendees will hopefully gain a great deal of insight into police work and the department, graduation does not bestow any rank, position or ability within the department or community. Academy alumni are often invited back to assist as volunteers at special events such as the crime prevention picnic.
When is the Citizen's Academy?
Most academy sessions are held on Thursday nights from 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., with one class held on a Saturday morning* (8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.).
Classes will be held on the following dates:
- 9/5, 9/12, 9/19, 9/28*, 10/3, 10/10, 10/17,10/24,11/7**
** The final date is reserved for a graduation celebration. The class may elect to hold the graduation at an earlier date.
What is the application process?
Interested applicants must review all application material and complete:
2) Authorization for Release of Information (Needed to conduct a criminal history check)
- Applications are due July 14, 2019
- Applicants will be informed of their application status no later than July 24, 2019
How do I apply?
Application packets can be obtained by:
- Downloading a packet by clicking the following link: 2019 Citizen's Academy Application Packet
- Picking up a printed copy up from the Fitchburg Police Department Records Bureau during normal business hours
- E-mailing : Sgt. Edward Hartwick for a copy: Edward.firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed application packets can be:
- Scanned and emailed to Sgt. Edward Hartwick: Edward.email@example.com
- Dropped off at the Fitchburg Police Department Records Bureau during normal business hours
- Mailed to: Fitchburg Police Department
Attn: Sgt. Edward Hartwick/Citizen’s Academy
5520 Lacy Rd
Fitchburg, WI 53711
Applications are due July 14, 2019
Contact Sgt. Edward Hartwick: E-Mail: Edward.Hartwick@fitchburgwi.gov Telephone:(608) 270-4362