New Resident Information
Fitchburg provides collection to single family homes, duplexes, and multi-family dwellings up to 4-units in size. The $158 annual solid waste collection fee per unit (for 2017) is included as a special charge on your residential property tax bill. This fee includes access to Fitchburg's Recycling Drop Off Site as well as curbside collection of the following items:
- Weekly Refuse Collection
- Every other week Recycling Collection
- 4 Yard Waste Collections per year
- 14 Brush Collections per year
New construction homes or existing homes needing replacement carts will be charged a one-time fee of $60 per cart payable directly to Pellitteri Waste Systems. If you are moving into an apartment or condo, please contact your landlord or condo association for trash collection information.
All single to four unit residential homes with public street access or indemnification agreements are provided with weekly curbside refuse collection and every other week recycling collection. You must use the city-provided green refuse cart and blue recycling cart. Residents must have their materials at the curb by 6:30 a.m. on their collection day. Carts may not be set out prior to 6 p.m. the night before collection, and must be removed from the curb within 12 hours after collection. Additional refuse that will not fit within the city-provided cart may be bagged and placed curbside with the appropriate refuse tag. Refuse tags are available for purchase at City Hall, or Hometown Pharmacy. Any bags not tagged will not be collected. If you are unsure if an item is refuse or if it is recyclable, please check our Recycling Guide or Pellitteri's web page. Hard copies of the guide are available at City Hall and the Fitchburg Public Library.
- The and 2018 Collection Calendar show further information on the dates for collection of refuse, mixed recyclables, holiday trees, brush, and yardwaste. You may want to print these calendars and post them for future reference.
- The Refuse & Recycling Collection Day Map provides a map of the City of Fitchburg indicating the standard collection day for your residence.
Acquiring the Proper Carts
- Service should begin automatically. If you are moving into a newly constructed home, please contact Pellitteri Waste Systems so that they may deliver your refuse cart and add your address to their collection schedule. If you are moving into an existing home or a vacant home and do not have the proper carts, please contact Pellitteri Waste Systems 608-257-HAUL (4285).
- All residents are provided with curbside pickup of recyclables on an every other week schedule. Recyclables collection will coincide with refuse collection every other week.
- Participation in Fitchburg's recycling program is mandatory. All recycling items should be placed within the blue recycling cart. Material may not be set out prior to 6 p.m. the night before collection. Carts must be removed from the curb within 12 hours after collection. Additional recycling that will not fit within the city-provided cart may be bagged in a clear plastic bag or open container next to the recycling cart. Additional cardboard may be taken to Fitchburg's Recycling Drop Off Site. A refuse tag is not required for extra recyclables. Refuse tags sell for $18.00 (2015-2019 rate) for a sheet of 5 tags and are available on 2nd Floor at City Hall, or Hometown Pharmacy.
- If you have any questions about the City's recycling program contact Public Works (firstname.lastname@example.org) 608-270-4260.