The City of Fitchburg is planning to improve the Nesbitt Road and Fitchrona Road intersection.
The Nesbitt Road and Fitchrona Road intersection is currently controlled with a four-way stop. Over the past several years, traffic volumes have steadily increased and the intersection now experiences significant delays and long lines of traffic during peak traffic hours.
The City is planning to construct a roundabout in 2019 to reduce congestion at this intersection. Earlier this year, the City considered traffic signal and roundabout alternatives. The roundabout alternative was selected because it best improves traffic flow and is anticipated to be the safest intersection configuration.
Previous Project Activities
• A public open house to discuss the project was held on March 27th, 2018.
• Alternatives were discussed at the Traffic and Transportation Committee meeting on April 5th, 2018. The Committee recommended the mini-roundabout alternative.
• Alternatives were discussed at the Board of Public Works meeting on April 9th, 2018.
• The City Council selected the roundabout alternative for final design at their April 10th, 2018 meeting.
• A public open house to discuss the proposed roundabout design and field questions & concerns was held on November 13th, 2019.
• The final design work was completed and Integrity Grading and Excavating, Inc. was approved as the project contractor at the Common Council meeting on May 28th, 2019. See the exhibit link below for the final roundabout design.
Future Project Activities
• Construction begins on July 8th, 2019. The intersection will be closed for the entirety of the project and signed detour routes will be provided. See the exhibit link below for details on the detour routes.
• The intersection is anticipated to be open and operational by October 2nd, 2019.
• The project is anticipated to be complete by October 25th, 2019.