Cheryl Drive Stormwater Project
Cheryl Drive has experienced flash flooding near the intersection of Cheryl and Charleston Drive. Water can get high enough to enter vehicles driving through the intersection. The City has also received reports that the water has removed mulch from trees planted within the right-of-way. The first objective of this project is to conduct a feasibility study to determine options to improve flash flooding near the intersection of Cheryl Drive and Charleston Drive. The study was completed in 2021 and revealed storm sewer and inlet capacity issues in this portion of the watershed. Construction plans were developed to add additional inlets and larger storm sewer along Cheryl and Charleston Drive, and Cheryl Drive between Rosellen Avenue and Jacquelyn Drive. The plan also involves removal of accumulated sediment in the drainage swales that receive discharge from they Cheryl Drive storm sewer. Removal of sediment and regarding of the swales was completed in the Fall of 2022. Work in the roadway take place Spring of 2023.
March 29, 2023 Update:
You are invited to attend the upcoming in-person public information meeting on April 20th, at Fitchburg City Hall. At the meeting we will discuss the scope of the project, and what to expect during construction. Phase 2 will begin in early to mid-May (weather dependent) with completion estimated by mid-July. Phase 2 will consist of storm sewer removal and replacement, manhole and inlet installation, curb and gutter removal and replacement, and asphalt paving. The nature of this work will result in temporary traffic detours. Specifically, the intersection of Charleston and Cheryl Drive will be temporarily closed to accommodate installation of the storm sewer and associated structures.
Project documents including video recordings of past public meetings, presentation slides, etc., are available below:
- Plan of Proposed Improvement - Cheryl Drive Stormwater Improvements - 100% Plans
- Cheryl Drive Flooding Analysis Final Report (November 2021) - PDF of Final Report
- Board of Public Works to discuss Task 2 (October 18, 2021) - Recording, PDF of Presentation
- Public Information Meeting #2 (August 26, 2021) - Recording, PDF of Presentation, Record of Zoom Chat, 1992 McKee Farms Record Drawings, Response to Outstanding Questions from Meeting
- Survey Responses (June 11, 2021) - PDF of Responses
- Public Information Meeting #1 (June 3, 2021) - Recording,
For additional questions on this project, please reach out to the Environmental Engineer, Ben Schulte, at firstname.lastname@example.org.