Fall 2022 Recycling Day Event
The Fall Recycling Day Event is scheduled for Saturday, October 15, 2022 from 8:00AM-11:00AM at the City Hall Campus (5520 Lacy Road). Check out the brochure below for a complete list of items that will be accepted during the event.
If you're looking to get rid of unwanted items in the meantime, please consider the options below.
Confidential Paper Recycling
- If you have access to a paper shredder, please shred your confidential documents, place them in a clear plastic bag, and put the bag into your curbside recycling cart. Please note that if you do not place the shredded paper into a clear plastic bag, it will not be identified as recyclable paper and will end up in the landfill. This is because paper needs to be a certain size (about the size of a regular envelope) to be accurately sorted by the equipment at our local Material Recovery Facility. If shredded paper is in a clear plastic bag, it will be hand-removed for recycling, but if not, it will not be sorted properly by the recycling equipment and will be landfilled. For more information about the local Pellitteri Material Recovery Facility, and how recyclables get sorted please check out this video! https://youtu.be/Vwch1gwUgQk.
- If you do not have access to a paper shredder, Pellitteri offers on-site paper shredding services for a fee. Please call Pellitteri at 605-257-4285 for more information.
- Non-confidential paper, such as magazines or junk mail, can be placed directly into your recycling cart.
- Drop off electronic recyclables to Resource Solutions' Madison location (5493 Express Cir, Madison). You can drop off without an appointment during their regular business hours: Monday-Friday: 8:00a-4:00p and Saturday: 8:00a-12:00p. NOTE: There is a fee to recycle some electronic items (this is true during Fitchburg's Recycling Day Event as well). For more information, visit: http://recyclethatstuff.com/.
- Current guidance is to dispose of alkaline batteries in your green trash bin. Rechargeable batteries are accepted for recycling at several retail locations (see the Fitchburg battery recycling brochure for details), and car batteries are accepted at AutoZone, Batteries + Bulbs, and other battery retail locations.
We look forward to seeing you in October!