The City of Fitchburg Fire Department is a combination (career and paid-on-call) fire department staffed by approximately 80 members including nine student interns.
The department serves a diverse population of more than 25,260 residents and over 700 businesses in 35.2 square miles of urban and rural areas.
We operate 4 Engine companies, 1 Ladder Tower, 1 Heavy Rescue, 2 Tenders, 1 Brush Truck, 1 Air/Light/Rehab vehicle and 1 ATV, as well as several command cars out of two firehouses.
We provide the following services: Fire Suppression, Fire Prevention, Vehicle Extrication, Public Education and Basic EMS first-response (non-transport) to our community. In 2013, we responded to over 1500 incidents including six structure fires, several vehicle extrications, and numerous other requests for emergency services.
Who We Look For
- Motivated individuals to become part of our organization
- Hard working people who go the extra step to maintain readiness for our vehicles and facilities
- Individuals interested in beginning a career in the fire service
- Housing in one of our firehouses (at no cost)
- Biweekly stipend of $150
- Tuition and book reimbursement up to $1,500 per semester; amount is based on GPA
- Payment for emergency responses and training events
- Opportunity to attend training outside FFD
- Full personal protective equipment
- Possible acceptance into the paramedic program
- A tremendous 2- or 3-year learning experience to complement a formal education
- A minimum of a 2 cumulative GPA in all MATC courses while in the Internship Program
- A minimum of a 3 cumulative GPA in Fire Science courses
- Attendance at scheduled FFD training activities
- Completion of Wisconsin and Fitchburg minimum requirements for training
- Response to major incidents when available
- You must be enrolled in, or have an application pending for admission to, the Madison College Fire Science degree program.
- To apply, visit Human Resources' Fire Intern Program page.