Burn Permit Regulations

BrushFireAny open, recreational, or cooking fires shall be constantly attended by a competent person until such fire is extinguished.  This person shall have a garden hose connected to a water supply or other fire-extinguishing equipment readily available for use.

Who Needs a Permit
If you are a resident that lives in the City of Fitchburg that wishes to burn the ordinary combustibles you need a burn permit to do so. You must live outside the urban service area  to receive a permit for open burning.

If you live inside the urban service area, open burning is prohibited. However recreational and cooking fires are permitted. You still must call for a burn permit.

What You Can Burn
Tree limbs, brush, and wood may be burned. The burning of all other materials is prohibited - this includes leaves, grass and trash. You may burn during daylight hours only. If you call for a burning permit just before dark, you will not be issued one.

Where You Can Burn
All open burning must be a minimum of 50 feet from any structure. Any recreational fires must be a minimum of 25 feet from any structure. All conditions that could cause a fire to spread to within 25 feet of a structure must be eliminated prior to ignition of the fire. You may not burn if you live in a residential subdivision in side of the urban service area. 

Obtain A Permit
Please contact Firehouse #1 at 608-278-2980, during normal business, and request a burn permit. Burn permits are only issued on the day that you call. They are good for one day only.