Farmland Preservation Tax Credit

Farmland Preservation Tax Credits
The Wisconsin Working Lands Initiative provides landowners with an opportunity to claim farmland preservation tax credits through participation in the program. These tax credits are income tax credits that are applied against tax liability and are available for the specific tax year. View the fact sheet.

Applying for the Credits
Just a reminder to farmers looking to claim the Wisconsin Farmland Preservation tax credit for their 2011 state income taxes. If you own land in 2011 that is zoned Exclusive Agriculture (A-X) or Transitional Agriculture (A-T) [In 2012, Transitional Agriculture (A-T) zoning will not qualify your land for the tax credit program] under the Fitchburg Zoning Ordinance, you should be filing Schedule FC-A, NOT the old Schedule FC. This will make you eligible for the higher $7.50 per acre per year tax credit approved as part of recent changes to the state Farmland Preservation Law.

Schedule FC should be used only for landowners who are claiming the smaller credit available to farmers who are not under exclusive agricultural zoning and who have an agreement with the state Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.

2011 Schedule FC-A forms are available online from the state Department of Revenue:
If you are unsure of your zoning, you can find it by looking it up on the City Zoning Map or by calling the Planning Department at 608-270-4258.

Eligibility Requirements
  • Acres claimed must be located in a farmland preservation area identified in a certified county farmland preservation plan. Eligible land includes agricultural land or permanent undeveloped natural resource areas or open space land that is in an area certified for farmland preservation zoning, and/or located in a designated agricultural enterprise area and under a farmland preservation agreement.
  • Claimants must have $6,000 in gross farm revenue in the past year or $18,000 in the past three years. Income from rental of farm acres does not count toward gross farm revenue.
  • Property taxes on the land must be paid by the claimant.
  • Farmers claiming farmland preservation tax credits must certify on their tax form that they comply with state soil and water conservation standards. New claimants must also submit a certification of compliance with soil and water conservation standards that has been issued by the county land conservation committee.