2020 Citizen's Police Academy
The Fitchburg Police Department is tentatively planning to hold its 10th Citizen's Academy in the fall of 2020.
The Citizen’s Academy is open to:
- City of Fitchburg residents
- City of Fitchburg business owners
- Employees of businesses within the City of Fitchbur
What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
The Fitchburg Police Department Citizen’s Academy is designed to:
- Give members of our community an inside look at the department and a better understanding of police work
- Provide attendees a chance to ask questions about any police related topics
- Create lasting relationships in the community
- Educate community members through hands on learning experiences on topics including:
- Drugs & Gangs
- Criminal Investigations and Evidence
- Defensive and Arrest Tactics
- Emergency Vehicle Operations and Control & Vehicle Contacts
- Active Threat Response
- Law Enforcement Scenarios
Academy attendees will participate in at least one ride along with a patrol officer.
The Citizen’s Police Academy is not preparatory law enforcement training. While academy attendees will hopefully gain a great deal of insight into police work and the department, graduation does not bestow any rank, position or ability within the department or community. Academy alumni are often invited back to assist as volunteers at special events such as the crime prevention picnic.
When is the Citizen's Academy?
The academy will likely begin in early September. Most academy sessions are held on Thursday nights from 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., with one class held on a Saturday morning* (8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.).
** The final date is reserved for a graduation celebration. The class may elect to hold the graduation at an earlier date.
How do I apply?
Applications for the academy will be made available in late spring.
Contact Lt. Edward Hartwick: E-Mail: Edward.Hartwick@fitchburgwi.gov Telephone:(608) 270-4362