Permit Applications & Requirements
Permits for alterations may be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 608-270-4275. If you would like to mail permit application with check, please provide self addressed stamped envelope to send permit to or please provide an email address. New construction permit applications must be submitted in person, see "Building Zoning Checklist" below.
Terravessa Building Permit Guide
Contractors and or Home Owners applying for building permits in Terravessa need to review the Terravessa Building Permit Guide. The guide includes a checklist of all items that need to be provided to the Planning & Zoning Department before an Early Start Permit or Building Permit will be issued in Terravessa. These requirements will be in place until public improvements are accepted.
Click here to access the Terravessa Building Permit Guide
Please contact the Planning & Zoning Department with any questions.
Attention Contractors and/or Home Owners applying for building permits:
Fees & Processing
Please allow 3-5 business days to process your building permit application. Please allow 5-7 business days to process building applications with zoning application (new structures). Keep in mind, processing times are subject to change dependent on the amount of permits to be processed at time you turn in yours. We will make every effort to keep to the time frames above. To insure timely processing of your permit please complete and attach all necessary information. Fees may be calculated using the .
Work Requiring a Permit (Uniform Permit Application at top of page)
Permits and Inspections are required for the following; please note the list below is not a complete list. If you have any questions as to whether your project requires a permit, please call Building Inspection at 608-270-4260 or email Buildingpermits@fitchburgwi.gov.
- New construction: Such as a house, garage, storage shed, screen/sun room addition, porch, deck, swimming pool, etc. Forms needed: See "Building Zoning Checklist" above.
- Addition and/or alteration to existing structures: Such as remodeling, refinishing, finishing, etc. Forms needed: Uniform Permit Application. For any additions to the footprint of the structure; in addition to the uniform permit application you will also need to provide: zoning permit application, site plan show addition on the site plan and the distances from the lot lines, and drawings/plans showing all the dimensions and materials being used. For remodels, build outs, basement finishes, we will also need drawings of the project.
- Basement waterproofing
- Electrical service replacement or upgrade: Such as additions or alterations to existing electrical system
- Furnace or air conditioner installation or replacement
- Plumbing installations and repair work: Such as water heater installation or replacement
- Re-roofing: Including tear off or overlay
- Siding of existing structure
- Window or door installation or replacement
- Demolition of existing structures
Work Exempt from Permit Requirements
Permits Exempt from Building Permit Requirements are as follows:
- Repairs necessary for building maintenance and upkeep, which do not exceed a cost of $2000 and that are not listed above
- Residential accessory buildings and storage sheds not used to house motor vehicles and less than 64 square-feet in floor area
- Attached and detached uncovered wood decks with floor surfaces less the 24 inches above the adjacent grade level
- Satellite dishes and antennas intended for private residential use
- Buildings and structures not within the scope of the building code
To Request an inspection online, complete this form . To call in an inspection, 608-270-4240 or 608-270-4241.
Inspectors will only contact you if they are unable to make the date and time you request.
Once you obtain a building permit, inspections are as follows:
- After footings are dug, but before cement is poured
- After walls are poured, but just before backfilling
- When rough framing, plumbing, heating - ventilation - air (HVAC) and electric are completed
- Final - The dwelling may not be occupied until a final inspection has been made which finds that no violations of the code exist that could reasonably be expected to affect the health and safety of the occupant
- Swimming pools require two inspections: when the rough electric has been completed, and a final inspection after the fence has been installed
If a re-inspection is necessary because the work was not completed when the inspection was called in, or if there is a code violation, or any additional inspections are called for, there will be an additional charge of $30 per inspection to be collected before the finals are approved.