The Department encourages participation in the Ride-Along Program in order to add to the public's knowledge and understanding of the day to day operations, problems and complexities of policing.
How to Sign Up
If you are interested in participating in the program, please complete the ride along request form below:
Ride Along Request Form
You may also download and print the ride along forms and drop them off at the police department or fax them to (608)270-4349.
Participants are limited to one ride-along per year. Due to liability issues ride-alongs must be eighteen or older.
Observers (ride-along participants) shall adhere to the following rules:
- Observers shall not explicitly or implicitly identify themselves as a member of the police department.
- Observers shall not accompany any officer into any residence or business place while the officer is conducting official business, unless directed to do so by the officer. Consideration will be given to state and local laws (i.e. juveniles not allowed to enter taverns).
- Observers shall not leave any police vehicle at a traffic stop or traffic accident unless directed to do so by the officer.
- Observers shall not use any department equipment, including the police radio, unless directed to do so by the officer.
- Observers shall not have any weapons, tape recorders or cameras while participating in the program.
- All activities and information observed and overheard are confidential and shall not be disclosed by the observer without permission from the department.
- Observers shall dress and conduct themselves so as not to offend members of the community or the department.